Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good…
Crazy day get the best of you? No time to hit the gym or yoga studio?
Just because you don’t have time for a full workout, there are likely plenty of opportunities to squeeze a few minutes of movement into your day:
- Do a few 60-second wall-squats while on a call
- Planks are a great position for reading – set up your stopwatch and alternate planking on forearms/elbows followed by a rest then a plank from the top of a push-up position – repeat 5 times for 30-seconds each interval
- Double stairs: if you need to go up or downstairs, go twice (e.g. go upstairs, back down, then back up)
- Do a 10 or 15 minute yoga sequence via YouTube (Yoga With Adriene has a ton of free, easy options that you can do at work without getting sweaty)
- Stand up & sit down from chair or couch while scrolling social media
Try it today -be intentional about adding small bursts of activity throughout the day
The key to making positive changes and staying motivated is to get crystal clear on what you want and why you want it.
The more powerful your why, the easier to work toward the what.
5 Ways to Stay Mindful:
Be Present – do one thing at a time. If you’re working out, don’t worry about what’s for dinner…stay focused on the task at hand.
Reframe how you view exercise. It is a privilege to be able to exercise, not a punishment. Don’t take for granted the ability to move your body.
Focus on the positives. Be proud of and celebrate every change or bit of progress.
Record. Keep a log of your workouts, meals, how you’re feeling. The act of writing down what you did, good or not-so-good, forces you to reflect on how you feel about what you did.
Know your triggers. Be aware of experiences that can trigger a negative reaction – and have alternate intentional actions ready to replace them. If you reward yourself after a stressful task at work with a trip to the communal candy dish, have a sparkling water while you go for a quick walk outside instead. If you head straight for the pantry & eat chips out of the bag as soon as you get home, immediately change clothes & take the dog for a walk while you have a glass of lemon water.
And as with everything – work for progress, not perfection – it takes time to change your mindset, but you’ll find that it is more than worth the effort!