*as always, just sharing my experience, not medical advice – consult your healthcare provider for advice on how this information relates to you, and don’t do any breathing exercises if you are pregnant or have cardiac/respiratory issues without consulting your doctor first*
I’ve been reading & hearing a lot about nasal breathing lately. Here are some of the possible benefits:
- Filters out dust/allergens
- May improve lung volume
- Lower risk of sleep apnea & snoring
- Humidifies the inhaled air
- Improved oxygen uptake
- Improved diaphragmatic function
- Improved activation of parasympathetic nervous system
- Improved oxygenation
- Potentially improved athletic performance and endurance when nasal breathing during exercise
I’ve been working on nasal breathing when exercising (ask your doc before you try it & consider checking your heart rate as you workout).
I’ve found this podcast episode to have some really cool information- check it out! (It’s long, but super informative & has some suggested exercises as well).