There is no shortage of information on the negative impacts of sleep loss. WebMD references what it can do to “memory, health, looks, and even your ability to lose weight”.
I am a high maintenance sleeper…but my routine has seriously improved my rest, which in turn allows me to wake up early, refreshed & ready for the day.
Create a sleep-friendly environment:
- Stop screen time an hour or two before bed (even better-disable the wi-fi)
- Keep your bedroom as dark as possible – and/or use a sleep mask – this one is non-negotiable for me.
- Try a guided meditation or listen to some sort of “white noise” – I prefer either the Sleep Stream App or my new go-to, “Weightless” by Marconi Union (via Spotify).
- Diffuse essential oils – I usually do lavender and cedarwood. (These can also be diluted in a carrier oil & applied topically.)
- Consider a magnesium supplement like Natural Calm.
- Once in bed, try Dr. Weil’s 4-7-8 breathing to help calm your mind so you can drift off for the night.
If you’re still having problems, consider talking to your doc to rule out any underlying issues that could be playing a role in your lack of sleep…